Studying in Leeds

Located in the heart of West Yorkshire, Leeds is a popular city to choose to study in. The city has five universities that offer different courses and degrees. The main two are the University of Leeds and Leeds Beckett University. Our head office in Leeds is located within a five-minute walk from both of these.

We have apartments located close to the University of Leeds and Leeds Beckett University which offer incredible value for money. These apartments come fully furnished, include high-speed Wi-Fi and are a short walk to where you will be studying. Dependant on which property you choose, it might include your utility bills and Wi-Fi, allowing you to concentrate on studying and enjoy an all-inclusive living experience.

If you want to be located closer to the city centre then we can also meet that need, as we have our large residences such as Q One Residence, Havana Residence and Park Square Residence where you are centrally located. These apartments offer amazing choice ranging from studios, one and two-bedroom apartments that are perfect for students. These larger developments offer luxury apartments that have amazing amenities such as bicycle lock-up points, car-parking, a manned concierge service, CCTV and communal areas.

The city itself is a great place to live, and upcoming developments in the city are making it more vibrant than ever before. Shopping centres such as Leeds Trinity and the Victoria Gate offer retail therapy, Park Row and Greek Street have amazing eateries and bars, and great attractions like Leeds Art Gallery and Royal Armouries Museum offer entertainment.

View our full guide to Leeds and learn more about our accommodation here.

Studying in York

If you are interested in history and culture then studying in York will be an excellent choice for you. The city offers a wealth of historic attractions and a variety of cultural and sporting activities making it a popular amongst international students and locals. York has two thriving universities that offer a range of degree courses from Modern History, Global Marketing to Strength and Conditioning (Sport).

The University of York has campuses spread across the city, whereas York St John University has a large main campus located close to the city centre walls.

In York we have our large development Piccadilly Residence which is perfect for international students moving to the United Kingdom to study. This development offers luxury apartments that come fully furnished with high-speed Wi-Fi. The on-site facilities are brilliant and offer tenants a high-spec gym, communal lounge space with pool table and comfortable sofas, a manned concierge service, CCTV and security. Our York office is also located at Piccadilly Residence, offering guidance and help whilst living with us.

In York we also have George House and Fossgate House which offer apartments to rent close to the city centre. George House is located just behind Piccadilly Residence and boasts apartments that are unique in design and characterful. Fossgate House is great for students as it offers an all-inclusive living experience, located within the city.

With hundreds of attractions, museums, historic buildings, tours, shops, restaurants and bars within the compact walled city of York, you’re never far from an unforgettable experience.

If you want to learn more about our accommodation offering and what York has to offer, view our guide here.

Studying in Liverpool

The former European Capital of Culture has a lot to offer to students. Liverpool has three separate universities across the city, offering a wide choice of studying and degree courses.The University of Liverpool and Liverpool John Moores University being the most known out of the three, have a large number of international students studying on campus.

Our brand-new landmark development, Gravity Residence, which opens in September 2018 is ideal for international students coming to study in Liverpool. This development offers stunning studios, one and two-bedroom apartments that offer comfort, luxury and convenience. Gravity Residence will offer all-inclusive living, with superb on-site amenities such as a high-spec gym, a manned concierge service and car-parking. At Gravity Residence you will find our Liverpool office, where our team can help with any enquires or problems that may occur.

Liverpool has endless attractions, shops, eateries and bars to choose from. The large retail complex Liverpool ONE offers a fabulous selection of shops, whereas Albert Dock has some fabulous museums and restaurants to choose from. Keeping busy will not be a problem during your time studying in Liverpool.

If you want to learn more about our accommodation offering and what Liverpool has to offer, view our guide here.

Studying in Sheffield

Sheffield is located in South Yorkshire, about 40 miles from Leeds. Sheffield was internationally known during the 19th century for steel production. It also is home to the worlds oldest football club, Sheffield F.C who were founded over 160 years ago. The city has now seen extensive redevelopment and has a generous skyline which includes two universities: University of Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam University. Sheffield Hallam is the third largest university in the United Kingdom with over 37,000 students which is made up of over 4,000 international students.

Onyx Residence is our brand-new development coming September 2018 to Sheffield city centre, located on St Mary’s Road, S2 4AP. Purpose-built for students and young professionals, these contemporary apartments will offer comfort, luxury and convenience. Located just a short 10 minutes walking distance to Sheffield Hallam University, these apartments will come fully furnished, The development will also operate a manned concierge service to assist you if needed whilst living with us.

Getting around Sheffield is made easy with its brilliant transport links. The city has its own Supertram network, from here you can visit Meadowhall Shopping centre which is home to over 280 retail stores.

If you want to learn more about our accommodation offering and what Sheffield has to offer, view our guide here.

Booking a viewing

When you have decided which property you would like to view you can either send an enquiry through our website, call us directly or visit the office in person to book your viewing

You can find ‘enquire’ as an option on our website on each property listing. Simply fill this out and hit submit; you can specify a date and time and also add comments. It’s helpful to our lettings consultants if you fill out as much information as possible so we can assist you efficiently when your request comes through.

We also offer Skype calling for international students. This is handy if you are not currently in the country but urgently want to sign for a property to secure it. If you require this service please enquire about this when contacting us.

Our contact details by location can be found here. You can email or call the following numbers:

Leeds: 0113 2444 666
York: 01904 627 065
Liverpool: 0151 558 0083
Manchester: 0161 883 3333
Sheffield: 0114 383 0712.

What’s needed to sign and secure your apartment

If you would like to sign for an apartment but cannot come to any of our offices, you can do all of this over email and phone. Before we take any payment from you, you must email us scanned copies of the following documents:

1. Passport + Visa
2. Student ID card or letter of offer from your university
3. Proof of address dated in the last three months
4. If you require a guarantor then you may need to provide other documentation.

More information on what documentation is required, along with payment information can be found here. If you have any other enquires or need to know more then please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Societies & clubs

Moving to another country to study can be daunting, but there are many ways you can meet new people and make friends along the way. If you are interested in sports or anything from music, poetry, film making to dancing, your university might offer a society or club you can join.

You can usually find out what is on offer at freshers or welcome week when you first start university, societies and clubs will be present showcasing what they have on offer, so take note. Most universities have over 100 different clubs, groups and societies to cater for different interests and cultures.

If you have a strong interest in something that doesn’t have a society then you could possibly create one. We have supplied some society websites directly from the universities to make searching easier for you:

Leeds Beckett University societies
University of Leeds societies
University of York societies
York St John societies
University of Liverpool societies
Liverpool John Moores University societies
Manchester Metropolitan University societies
University of Manchester societies
Sheffield Hallam University societies
University of Sheffield societies

Keeping in touch

We know how important it is when you are living in a foreign country to be able to contact home. Most phones from European Countries should work within the United Kingdom, however some countries in the Far East and North/South America might not. It is worth understanding what’s involved before you move.

It would be best and more efficient for you to take out a student mobile phone contract whilst you are living in the United Kingdom. All the large telecoms providers such as O2, EE, Vodafone, BT and Tesco Mobile offer contracts. International phone call providers like Lebara, Lyca Mobile and Rebtel also offer a low-cost way to make long-distance calls.

Another great way to stay in touch is creating an account on Skype. Staying in touch couldn’t be easier when you can make video calls from your computer, tablet or smart-phone. You can also use Facebook video calling and WhatsApp which is internet based to save you money - these apps can easily be downloaded to most compatible smartphone.

You can read more about calling abroad found in this article from Money Saving Expert, which has supplied all the information and costs about dialling international countries.

Travelling in the UK

Walk – All of our large student residences are less than a 30 minutes walk from the universities in York, Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield and Liverpool. Many students choose to walk as it’s cheap, a great way to keep healthy and also a brilliant way to find out what’s in the local area.

Bike – Many students find biking a great way to commute to university; it’s free and it will keep you fit. Find a used bike on Gumtree or buy a new bike from a local bike shop. We have bicycle lock up points at all of our student developments so that you can choose this method of transport.

Bus – Leeds, York, Manchester, Liverpool and Sheffield all have a student buses that run daily during term time. It might be worth contacting your university to find out more about this service.

Buses are often the easiest, cheapest and most efficient way to commute to university from home. Megabus and National Express are also the perfect low-cost alternative to the train for exploring the rest of United Kingdom

Train – Catching a train is a great way to explore places outside the city. A day trip out to the countryside is highly recommended, where you can spend some time in the Yorkshire dales. If you book far in advance you can get some amazing deals on train tickets. Trainline is a great place to search for tickets and find out journey times. Check-out their website to see the list of destination you can visit.

What's the weather like in the UK?

The United Kingdom is known for having very unpredictable weather though it is rarely extreme. You can expect the temperature to range from below -5° Celsius in winter to 30°C in a heatwave! However, a lot of the time it is mostly cold and wet so an umbrella and waterproof jacket are absolutely essential. Pack lots of warm layers and a big jacket for the winter months and don’t expect summer to be too hot.

You can regularly check the weather from your iPhone or android, if you use location services that will update with where you are located. Alternatively, you can check online and find out a 5-10-day weather forecast.

Banking in the UK

If you are studying in the UK for longer than a few months we do recommend setting up a United Kingdom bank account. NatWest, Barclays, RBS, Santander, HSBC and Lloyds all provide student accounts which usually include an interest-free overdraft. To open an account just visit your chosen branch with your passport, driver’s license, student ID and proof of address in the United Kingdom.

TV licenses and council Tax

If you are a student studying in the United Kingdom and have proof of this, you are exempt from paying local council tax. There are a few requirements that you have to meet to be exempt and these can be found here.

Students now require a TV license. New laws which were recently brought into effect apply to any household that watched live TV, TV on demand or uses any device to download or watch BBC programmes. A TV license costs around £147 a year and you can find our more information about why you need one here.